Sunday, July 31, 2011

We Didn't Start The Fire!

Hi!

So there I was, slumbering peacefully, having some sort of weird dream, when I was suddenly and unexpectedly awoken by the loudest buzzing noise I had ever laid ears upon. In confusion, I asked the other Hermanas what was happening. Except I knew the whole time--fire alarm. I put on my shoes and started to go out the door. Hermana Binks was in front of me, looked out, confirmed it was a fire alarm and came quickly back to grab something. I frantically and impatienly asked her what she was getting in a haze of sleepy, out-of-it-ness. She said it was her shoes. Oh. We, along with the rest of the sisters of building 17M, paraded out of the building. (Good thing I had read the emergency exit plan on our door the first week we were here.) We all waited outside for several minutes. I had checked my clock before we left our room. 2:13 AM. Was it a real fire? I didn't think they would be cruel enough to do a drill at such an hour. They let us inside after a while and we were all grateful to go back to sleep. The mystery of the fire alarm still remains.
How was that for an over-dramatic introduction? Well life here is just fab like always. We just got back from the temple. It was so good to be able to go because it had been closed for the past two weeks. It was definitely a boost for me and was so glad we could go this week. After the temple, Hna Shelley and I sat on a bench by the fountains and studied the Plan of Salvation, which we will be teaching one of our investigators this week. The weather was perfect and we had a nice view of Utah lake. It really doesn't get much better than that!
Some highlights of the week....A girl was wearing the same dress as me and it was very obvious that she was avoiding me at all costs. We taught a lesson in the Teaching Resource Center to a lady from Chile. I noticed how she didn't say the s's at the end of her words, mom. It's a lot of fun teaching real people, but I also get way nervous because of my lack of Spanish. A lot of the times I just have to smile and nod my head. One of the teachers here sat by us at lunch and said he was from Bozeman, Montana. I asked if he knew the Kent and Linda Hill family and he got all excited and said Brad is a way good friend of his! I forgot to ask his name, but you should pass the message along. We got some new roommates this week, which makes for a very crowded room, but it's also fun to have new faces.
This week has been my favorite so far. Sunday was just PACKED with so much spirituality and goodness. I'll try to tell you some of my thoughts without being jumbled. On Sunday (the 24th), after we had an amazing speaker, our closing hymn was "Come, Come Ye Saints." At the end of the last verse, all of the missionaries started standing up. By the end of the song, everyone was standing together singing "Oh how we'll make this chorus swell, all is well, all is well." It was so powerful. The words of that song are so applicable to everyone. Go read them, okay? We talked a lot about how we are all pioneers...we are all paving the way for our families, or people in Argentina, or maybe some of us are converts ourselves. No matter who we are we can spread the gospel!
That night, we watched a replay of a talk by Elder Holland. He really put missionary work in perspective for me. I learned a lot this week how we should give our whole selves to the Lord. We must be willing to change and not just sacrifice our will, but surrender it. It takes a lot of work, but it is so worth it. The Lord can do so much with us that we never thought possible.
I will end this little email with a quote by Elder Dennis M. Simmons, "A mission is the most wonderful, awful thing in the world." To be honest, I haven't felt the awful part yet. But I know it will come. The MTC is preparation for me to go out and teach others and gain lots and lots of experience. I know there will be times that are so discouraging, as well as times of so much happiness. I know that the time here is for me to prepare for that roller coaster and know how I can pull through with the help of the Lord. I want to destify to you that He is guiding your life! He really, really is. Look for His hand and you will find it. Yo sé que el Evangelio de Jesucristo es verdadero <----I will be saying that a lot on my mission.
Have a great day. I love you all! Thanks for your thoughts, prayers, letters, etc. Oh, and send me pictures from the cruise, okay familia?
Love,
Hermana Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment